We'll help you get back to what you love

Claims Process Knowledge Pt. 2

Claims Process Knowledge…

Generally, any car accident claims process begins when a report of the accident has been made to the insurance company. However, this process varies from one insurance company to the next. This article will discuss some general information regarding the process worth knowing.

Some critical information that every driver ought to know with regards to a car accident claims process includes the following:

  • Assessing fault- the insurance company will determine which party to the accident is at fault. In some cases, you may be partially at fault for the accident, while in other cases, it may be determined that only one party was at fault. If you are 30% at fault and the other driver is 70% at fault, your insurance company might pay 30% of the settlement while the other driver’s insurance company may pay the remaining 70%. For a fault assessment to be made, the insurance company will review all statements you made regarding the accident. If a police report has been filed, they will evaluate this information. If the police issued you a citation for the accident, this does not necessarily mean that your insurance company will find you at fault for the accident. However, they will strongly consider this information. If you disagree with the assessment carried out by the insurance company regarding fault, it is necessary to contact the claims adjuster and ask for an explanation. Where necessary, provide any new information available, such as eyewitness accounts of the accident. If you are still dissatisfied, contact the best attorney for personal injury to advise on the next step.
  • Determining value- the claims adjuster determines your claim's approximate value but considering a number of factors. For example, the adjuster will review information regarding the cost of repairs for the vehicle, medical records, medical bills, and documentation regarding any lost wages. Further, they will look at the injuries you have sustained. For example, if you claim permanent disability or a loss of enjoyment of life linked to the accident, the insurance adjuster may review social media to see if there are any contradictions either by message post updates or pictures you post seen by the public. Suppose you hired a personal injury attorney to provide you with legal advice, assistance and representation. In that case, the attorney may recommend that you adjust the privacy settings on your social media platforms and avoid posting pictures linked to your accident.

  • Settlement - once the insurance company has completed its investigation, they may contact you or your lawyer with regards to a settlement offer. The settlement amount that you may receive is based on a number of factors including how much at fault you were for the accident, your insurance policy, the amount to repair your vehicle, medical expenses and other factors. In the event that your settlement does not feel fair, you or your attorney may reject the offer and pursue a lawsuit.

For legal advice and representation, contact a law firm of renowned personal injury attorneys with experience in car accident claims

keyboard_arrow_up